Mark A. Funk
Phone: +1 202 729-6333
Mobile: +1 847-650-2651View PDF
Mark is a Director at Credibility International with over 30 years of experience providing consulting services for companies, government entities, and legal counsel across a range of industries including energy, oil & gas, metals & mining, industrial manufacturing, healthcare & medical products and retail & consumer goods. Mark’s experience involves breach of contract disputes, investment arbitration matters, regulatory proceedings, forensic accounting investigations, and insolvency matters. He has consulted on damages analyses involving complex contract disputes, valuations, lost profits analysis, investigations and bankruptcies. He holds a Masters of Business Administration degree in Finance & International Business from the University of Chicago and a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Prior to joining Credibility International, Mark was an independent management consultant from 2010 to 2016, where he advised executive leadership on critical strategic issues in mining and energy industries. Prior to that, Mark was with: (1) management consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton from 2005 to 2010, as a principal and a leader of its Operations and Energy Consulting Practice; (2) management consulting firm A.T. Kearney from 1997 to 2005, where he advanced from associate to principal and a leader of its Performance Improvement and Merger Integration Consulting Practices; (3) Baxter International from 1991 to 1997, as director of Global Strategic Planning; and (4) Schlumberger Ltd. from 1984 to 1989, as a senior oilfield services engineer and consultant.
Consulting Engagement Experience
Representative examples of Mark’s engagement experience include:
- Southeast Asian Mining Arbitration; Expropriation; Managed engagement team in the preparation of expert quantum reports on the damages resulting from the expropriation of a gold mining project including producing mines and exploration properties. Work on this matter involved analysis of lost profits and valuation assessment of investments.
- European Metals Processing Arbitration; Expropriation; ICSID. Managed engagement team in the preparation of expert quantum reports on the damages resulting from the expropriation of a large-scale Eastern European aluminum smelter. Work on this matter involved analysis of lost profits and valuation assessment of investments.
- Latin America Mining Arbitration; Expropriation; ICSID. Managed engagement team in the preparation of expert quantum reports on the damages resulting from the expropriation of an exploration/development stage gold mining project in Central America. Work on this matter included valuation assessment of investments.
- South America Renewable Energy; Breach of Contract; ICC. Managed engagement team in the preparation of expert quantum reports on the financial position of a number of companies related to a dispute involving the development and operations of wind farms in Peru. Work on this matter included analysis of project financial returns and investments.
- Central Asia Mining Arbitration; Expropriation; Managed engagement team in the damages analysis resulting from the expropriation of a major gold and copper mining project associated with the joint venture of two multi-national mining companies. The deposit was set to rank among the world’s biggest gold and copper mines. Work on this matter included complex financial modeling and valuation assessment of Claimant’s investments.
- NAFTA Oil and Gas Arbitration; Expropriation; ICSID. Managed engagement team in the damages analysis related to claim resulting from the termination of a major high visibility oil pipeline project from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. This was the largest arbitration matter in the history of NAFTA, but was since settled.
- South America Pulp and Paper Arbitration; Breach of Contract; ICC. Led the quantum analysis related to a failed acquisition of a Brazilian pulp and paper manufacturer by an Asian conglomerate.
- South America Oil and Gas Arbitration. Managed engagement team in the financial modeling and preparation of expert quantum reports associated with the valuation of expropriated oil & gas exploration and production properties and related processing facilities.
- Retail and Consumer Products; Managed engagement team in the preparation of expert quantum reports involving lost profits and excess cost claims related to household appliances import duties of a major consumer products company.
- US Financial Services; Breach of Contract. Assisted in the analysis of damages with class action lawsuit related to payday loans of major regional bank.
- Acquisition and Divestiture Strategies. Managed analysis leading to strategy for leading oil and gas company’s acquisition and divestiture strategy of exploration and production properties and downstream processing facilities.
- Merger Integration. Co-led post-merger integration of operations for three of the top six US oil industry mergers and acquisitions. Delivered merger synergy savings of several hundred million of dollars for clients.
- Growth Strategies. Developed and implemented strategic plans for major international oil company’s entry into new regional exploration and production operations and new ventures into alternative energy projects.
- Corporate Capital Planning. Led the analysis, planning and prioritization of multi-billion-dollar capital expansion program for global oil and gas production company.
- Major Capital Project Management. Led the planning and execution of mutli-billion-dollar joint-venture Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) project in Western Canada. Scope of project included gas production, gathering, pipeline, processing and transportation to end customers in Japan. Integrated multiple stakeholders including construction contractors, shippers, regulatory agencies, and landowners.
- Global Manufacturing Strategy. Led the planning and execution of global sourcing and manufacturing capacity planning of worldwide portfolio of manufactured products for leading medical products company.
- Operations Performance Improvement. Developed and implemented global Operational Excellence initiative to help major electric utility company achieve top-quintile industry performance in growth, operating efficiency and returns on capital investment.
- Strategic Technology Development. Led technology development strategy for global oil and gas company to improve financial returns and speed to market of its deepwater oil exploration & production ventures.
- Retail Supply Chain Management. Led the transformation of supply management strategy for a leading retailer. Results dramatically improved profitability, inventory levels, and in-stock service performance.
- Masters of Business Administration, University of Chicago Booth School of Business, Chicago, IL
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
Professional Certifications and Associations
- Professional Engineer (State of Texas)
- Member, National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- Member, Association for Supply Chain Management (ASCM)