Joseph D. Berry
Address: 1701 Pennsylvania Ave NW Suite 200View PDF
Joe is a Senior Consultant at Credibility International with experience in disputes and forensic accounting investigations. Joe provides consulting services for companies, government entities, and law firms across a range of industries including industrial manufacturing, retail, commercial real estate, and banking/financial institutions. He has assisted in the preparation of valuation models, quantification of financial damages, analyses of corrupt and fraudulent practices, and preparation of expert testimony. In addition to Joe’s work at Credibility International, he is a Lieutenant in the U.S. Army Reserve. Joe holds both a Masters of Science in Accountancy and a Bachelors of Business Administration in Accountancy from the University of Notre Dame.
Prior to joining Credibility International full-time in December 2018, Joe worked as an intern for the company in the Summer of 2017. Representative examples of Joe’s experience include:
- Convenience Store and Gas Station Industry, Litigation; Involuntary Dissolution. Assisted in the preparation of an expert report relating to a shareholder oppression matter. Analyses included assessments of the fair value of the company and the minority shareholders’ interest in the company. Work on this matter included assisting with discounted cash flow modeling, industry and competitor research, and analyses of the company’s financial documents.
- Banking Industry, Litigation; Aiding and Abetting Fraud and Breach of Fiduciary Duty. Assisted in the preparation of an expert report in a fraud dispute and related aiding and abetting claims against a financial institution related to the fraud perpetrated by Allen Stanford and his coconspirators in the operation of a decades-long Ponzi scheme.
- ICC Matter involving Egyptian and Chinese Parties; Breach of Contract. Assisted in the preparation of expert reports on alleged economic losses suffered by Claimant and Respondents’ counterclaim losses. Dispute was related to the distribution of home appliances in Egypt. Economic losses include direct losses, lost profits and reputational harm.
- Southeast Asian Retail Dispute; Breach of Contract Dispute, ICDR-AA. Assisted in the preparation of an expert report assessing Claimant’s lost profits in connection with an alleged breach of an agreement to import and distribute footwear in Hong Kong, Macau, and the People’s Republic of China. Assisted in the preparation of counterclaim assessing Respondent’s losses.
- Insurance Industry Dispute; Breach of Contract, Breach of Fiduciary Duty, Fraud in the Inducement, Gross Negligence. Assisted in the preparation of expert reports in a breach of contract and fraud dispute involving the management of an insurer’s assets related to the collapse of hedge funds and related party reinsurers.
- Asian Industrial Industry Dispute; Expropriation. Assisted in the preparation of expert reports relating to financial issues and damages. Dispute involving two cement plants in Uzbekistan. Work on this matter included reviewing and analyzing accounting irregularities, alleged financial statement fraud, alleged bribery and corruption as well as preparing valuation models.
- Central Asian Real Estate and Retail Dispute; Expropriation. Assisted in the preparation of an expert report on financial issues and damages. Work on this matter included tracing cash transactions with respect to an alleged international money laundering scheme.
Financial Investigations, Fraud, & Forensic Accounting
- Specialty Products Industry (2018 – 2020). Assisted in a defense matter related to GAAP revenue recognition and SEC disclosures.
- Specialty Products Industry (2020). Assisted in an SEC defense matter involving revenue recognition under ASC 606. Work included analyses of revenue transactions under ASC 606. The SEC subsequently closed the investigation.
- Defense Industry (2020). Assisted in a defense matter involving potential bribery issues. Work included preparing an ability to pay analyses and business projections, and assisting in preparations for presentations to the DOJ.
- Technology Industry (2019 – 2020) Assisted in an independent forensic investigation involving GAAP, SEC reporting, and misappropriation issues. Issues included revenue recognition, prerequisite disclosures, misappropriation and embezzlement, and analyzing the work of the auditors. The investigation reported findings to the SEC, DOJ, and NYSE.
- Transportation Industry (2018 – 2019). Assisted in a DOJ defense matter involving potential violations of the FCPA. Work included analysis of potential profits from identified transactions, preparing an ability to pay analyses, and assisting in preparations for presentations to the DOJ. The ability to pay analysis was ultimately independently verified and accepted by the DOJ.
- Masters of Science in Accountancy, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, May 2018
- Bachelors of Business Administration in Accountancy, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, May 2017