Our professionals have extensive experience in forensic accounting matters, leading investigations, defense, and litigation matters addressing a wide variety of accounting, financial reporting, and auditing issues. The results in these matters have been used to satisfy boards, regulators, auditors, and other key stakeholders. Our professionals have led matters including the following:
- Specialty Retailer – supported a Special Committee of the Board of Directors in an investigation involving complex GAAP and SEC reporting issues. The investigation led to and supported a restatement of the financial statements, and supported the resolution of issues with the external auditors, the SEC and the DOJ.
- Manufacturer – supported a matter involving potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (“FCPA”). Work included analysis of several contracts in various countries, identification of potential payments in violation of the FCPA, and funds flow analysis through various entities and third-parties.
- Oil & Gas Company – supported a matter involving potential violations of the FCPA. Work included funds flow analyses through multiple related entities, transaction tracing, and identification of potential payments in violation of the FCPA.
White Collar Criminal and SEC Defense Matters
- Cable Provider – supported a CEO, CFO, COO, and VP of Treasury in defense of criminal and civil allegations of GAAP and SEC reporting violations, misappropriation, and embezzlement, including support during a 5-month criminal trial and through the conclusion of extensive civil litigation.
- Foodservice Distributor – supported a CFO and VP of Marketing in defense of criminal and civil allegations of GAAP and SEC reporting violations and misrepresentations to auditors, including support during a complex criminal trial and through the conclusion of the appeals process.
- Insurance Company – supported a CEO in defense of civil allegations of GAAP and SEC reporting violations, including review and analysis of the accounting aspects of various transactions, and significant analysis and consultation on the work of the auditors.
- Insurance Company – supported a VP of Reinsurance in defense of criminal and civil allegations of GAAP and SEC reporting violations regarding a complex finite reinsurance transaction, including on-site consultation and support during a criminal trial and through the appeals process.
- Automotive Parts Manufacturer – supported a CEO in defense of criminal and civil allegations regarding GAAP and SEC reporting violations, including support of a written submission to regulators that resulted in all criminal charges being dropped against the client and three co-defendants.
- Internet Service Provider – supported a CFO and Chief Accounting Officer in defense of civil allegations of GAAP and SEC reporting violations, including the preparation of an extensive expert report, and support during depositions and trial preparation.
- Oil & Gas Company – supported a complex litigation matter involving GAAP and SEC reporting issues related to environmental remediation and toxic tort liabilities, including supporting the filing of an extensive expert report, and on-site support during depositions and trial.
- Pharmaceutical Industry – supported an international audit partner regarding auditor malpractice claims brought by the PCAOB, including preparation of an expert report and rebuttal of the opposing expert, and on-site support during the regulatory hearing and through the appeals process.
- Chinese Manufacturer – evaluated of the adequacy of local audit work related to a Chinese manufacturing and distribution company that became an SEC registrant through a reverse merger.
- Financial Institution – supported the defense of an EVP and Commercial Loan Officer in defense of criminal and civil allegations of accounting and financial reporting violations, and asset misappropriation.